Pleasing Plant Combinations
June Bailey White - Plant Sale Chair
Serious flower gardeners spend a lot of time and energy digging up plants and planting them back in a different place. Much of this work is unavoidable to maintain the health and vigor of the plants, as when daylilies or rudbeckia get too crowded and need dividing. But a lot of digging and rearranging is done for aesthetic reasons, such as when you decide something with a pink bloom at one end of the garden would look good next to something white which is now at the other end. Out comes the shovel.
A lot of work and stress on your plants could be saved if gardeners were able to put pleasing plant combinations together from the beginning. One project of the Birdsong Old-Timey Plant Sale Committee this year is to spot these combinations in their own gardens throughout the year and then present those plants together at the March 19, 2016 sale along with a photograph showing them in bloom. Some keen observation and plant knowledge goes into this. You have to know that the plants growing together have the same soil, light, and water requirements; that one won't aggressively crowd out its partner; that their flowering or showy season happens at the same time.
Be looking at your garden for gaps where you might put some of these plant combinations. In a seasonally changing garden it can help to mark with a flag or plastic label stuck in the ground with a note to yourself where each season's gaps are. The plant sale will be held on the third Saturday in March, March 19, the perfect time to fill these holes in your garden.
- Bulbs, Tubers, Rhizomes - by June Bailey White
- Florida Torreya Tree - by Ellery Sedgwick
- Hardscapes - by Bonnie Spann
- Ferns - by June Bailey White
- Pleasing Plant Combinations - by June Bailey White
- Spring-Flowering Trees - by June Bailey White
- Colorful Fall Trees - by June Bailey White
- Native Perennials for Your Garden - by Eleanor Dietrich
- Gingers - Edible and Ornamental - by Kristine Dougherty
- Crinum Lilies - by June Bailey White